Looking for a snack for your March Madness party? Or are you just looking to make a side dish that kids will actually eat? cheesecake factory posted a recipe for the famous (and delicious) Loaded Baked Potato Tots so you can make them at home if you can’t go out to the cheesecake factory!
Baked Potato Bites from The Cheesecake Factory
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (lumpy), cold
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and chopped approx. ½”
- 1 ea. beaten egg
- 1 billion. Green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 C. Cornstarch
- 1 C. All purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. Coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp. Ground black pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 ch. Eggs, beaten with 1 Tbl. of cold water
- 4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Canola oil for frying
- To taste Coarse Salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream to garnish
- 1/2 cup sriracha mayonnaise* for garnish
- Place potatoes, cheeses, bacon, green onion and egg in a large bowl and mix together with a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper over mixture, folding gently to combine.
- Line a baking sheet (that will fit in your freezer) with aluminum foil and dust lightly with flour.
- Scoop potato mixture into walnut-sized balls onto prepared baking sheet, spaced evenly. Place in the freezer for approx. 30 minutes to let harden but not completely freeze.
- Remove from the freezer and gently roll into a “tot shape”. Return to freezer to freeze completely.
- Place the flour, egg and panko breadcrumbs in three separate containers.
- Remove the tots from the freezer and work in batches, dredge in the flour, shaking off any excess, then dip in the egg, draining off any excess and finally dredge completely in the breadcrumbs. Repeat until all tots are breaded.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- Working in batches, fry bites for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towel, season with salt while still hot.
- Serve with sour cream, sriracha mayonnaise and enjoy!
* Many quality ingredients can be found at your local grocery store or simple recipes can be found online.