Lincoln Transportation and Utilities (LTU) invites the public to attend a ScooterLNK safety education event on Wednesday October 6 on North 17th Street between R and S streets near the downtown campus of the University of Nebraska- Lincoln.
The free event will run from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. and will outline the safety and operating rules for electric scooters. Free rides and helmets will be offered to event participants.
Since the start of the ScooterLNK pilot program in September 2020, there have been more than 82,000 electric scooter trips.
Operating guidelines include:
• Drivers must be over the age of 18 and hold a valid motor vehicle driver’s license;
• Runners are requested to wear a helmet for safety reasons;
• Riders must follow all traffic rules, signals and panels;
• Cyclists must travel in cycle lanes or vehicle lanes with the flow of traffic;
• Cyclists must yield to pedestrians and walk on electric scooters on sidewalks when parking;
• Only one cyclist is allowed on an electric scooter at a time;
• Electric scooters are only allowed on city streets or street cycle lanes that are within the pilot program area;
• Drivers should not drive electric scooters under the influence of drugs or alcohol;