Chelsea face Aston Villa in the Premier League on Sunday afternoon at Villa Park.
It’s the last day of the 2020/21 championship season and everything is yet to be decided for the Blues. A victory will secure them a place in the top four. Anything other than the three points will see them rely on results elsewhere to work in their favor.
Here are the most important stats ahead of the Premier League clash:
- The 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge in December ended Aston Villa’s six-game losing streak against Chelsea in the Premier League.
- Villa have lost 10 of the league’s last 12 encounters, with their lone victory during that spell at home in March 2014.
- Chelsea can record four successive away league wins in this game for only the second time, having done so between 1995 and 1999.
- Villa are guaranteed to end the season in 11th place, their best Premier League ranking since ninth place in 2010-11.
- Only Chelsea and Manchester City have kept more clean sheets in the Premier League than Villa’s 15 this season.
- Emiliano Martinez tied the club’s Premier League record for most clean sheets by a goalkeeper in a season. Brad Friedel also kept 15 in 2009-10.
- Aston Villa haven’t won their last league game in any of their last six top campaigns since defeating Liverpool 1-0 ten years ago (D2, L4).
- Ollie Watkins has scored eight Premier League goals against the top six opponents in 2020-21, two more than any other player.
- He needs a goal to become the first Englishman to score 15 times in the Premier League for Villa, surpassing Julian Joachim’s record from 1998 to 1999.
- Chelsea will secure a Champions League spot next season if they win or match the results of Liverpool and Leicester. If Chelsea lost by three goals, Leicester would overtake them with a draw.
- Their only loss on the final matchday of a Premier League season in the past nine years was 3-0 at Newcastle United in 2017-18.
- The Blues have collected 38 points in their 18 league matches under Thomas Tuchel (W11, D5, L2). They took 29 points in 19 games under Frank Lampard.
- Since Tuchel’s first game at the helm, only Manchester City have gained more points than Chelsea.
- They are unbeaten in their 12 away matches in all competitions under the German, conceding only five goals (W9, D3).
- Edouard Mendy could become the only Chelsea goalkeeper other than Petr Cech to keep more than 16 clean sheets in the Premier League in a season.
- Olivier Giroud has 10 goals in competition against Aston Villa, a career record, scoring in each of his last eight appearances against them.
Follow Absolute Chelsea on: Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Youtube